Ilovik is an island in the region of Kvarner. Ilovik is actually the name for two small isles, Ilovik and Sveti Petar (St. Peter), located in the north, but south of the Island Losinj. Nicknamed “The Island of Flowers,” Ilovik is known for two century-old eucalyptus trees, oleander, bougainvillea, palms, and the many carefully tended flower gardens of the 100 inhabitants. Most are farmers, shepherds, and fisherman. Tourism is increasing. Ilovik is tiny, only 6 km2, and the one village is also named Ilovik. The highest point is Dida, 98 meters.
- 1 Contents
- 2 Pictures of Ilovik Island
- 3 How to get to Ilovik Island
- 4 Here is Ilovik Island located
- 5 History of Ilovik Island
- 6 What to see in Ilovik Island
- 7 Where to stay in Ilovik Island
- 8 Sports & leisure opportunities in Ilovik Island
- 9 Beaches in Ilovik Island
- 10 Where to eat in Ilovik Island
- 11 Nightlife and entertainment in Ilovik Island
- 12 Cultural events in Ilovik Island
- 13 Excursions in the region of Ilovik Island
- 14 Related links
- 1 Pictures of Ilovik Island
- 2 How to get to Ilovik Island
- 3 Here is Ilovik Island located
- 4 History of Ilovik Island
- 5 What to see in Ilovik Island
- 6 Where to stay in Ilovik Island
- 7 Sports & leisure opportunities in Ilovik Island
- 8 Beaches in Ilovik Island
- 9 Where to eat in Ilovik Island
- 10 Nightlife and entertainment in Ilovik Island
- 11 Cultural events in Ilovik Island
- 12 Excursions in the region of Ilovik Island
- 13 Related links
Pictures of Ilovik Island
- Support us and upload pictures of Ilovik Island (you need to be registered to upload pictures).
- Island More pictures of Ilovik Island
How to get to Ilovik Island
Here is Ilovik Island located
Use the mouse and the +/- buttons on the left to navigate within the map of Ilovik Island.
History of Ilovik Island
Ilovik has been known since ancient times because of the narrow (300 m), protected anchorage between the two islands. The Ilirian tribe Liburni were the first inhabitants. Evidence of Roman civilization has been found including mosaics, coins, tombs and underwater ruins. The oldest recorded name, Neumae Insulae (Island with No Name) was noted in AD 107.
What to see in Ilovik Island
- There is a WWII bunker at Parknu beach
- Remnants of a small Venetian castle on Sveti Petar built in 1597 to defend the island from pirates
- The Benedictine Abbey from the 11th century on Sveti Petar
- Also on Sveti Petar is a rock formation called Golubinka and a cave
- The remains of a fortress from the Bronze Age are on the mountain Straza
Where to stay in Ilovik Island
- You know some good accomodations in Ilovik Island? Write them down here.
Hotels in Ilovik Island
Camping sites in Ilovik Island
Private accomodations in Ilovik Island
Sports & leisure opportunities in Ilovik Island
- There is a small soccer field at Soto Pini
- A bocce court is available
- The harbor at Ilovik is one of the best operated for private vessels on the Adriatic, with electric hookups, and trash removal. Small quantities of fresh water are available.
Beaches in Ilovik Island
Parzin is a large nudist beach on the southeastern part of the island, and Sidro is a nudist beach nearer the town.
Harbac and Sotopini beaches are closer to the village.
Where to eat in Ilovik Island
There is a tavern and several small restaurants.
Nightlife and entertainment in Ilovik Island
Music is a tradition, and the accordion is the favored instrument. On many evenings accordionists will gather and play in the streets, inspiring singing and folk dancing.
Cultural events in Ilovik Island
- Celebration of the day of Saints Peter and Paul.
- Burial rites include church services on Ilovik after which the body is taken by boat to Sveti Petar where the cemetery is enclosed by a wall dating to the 11th century.
Excursions in the region of Ilovik Island
- Do you know some excursions in Ilovik Island? Write them down here to support other travellers to Ilovik Island.
- Forum about Croatia
- News of Croatia
|This article needs your support to be finished. If you know more about Ilovik Island please add your knowledge to this article. On this page you can find more information of how you can contribute to this wiki.|